- 1 pound beetroot (about 4 medium-sized), peeled and chopped
- 2 olive oil
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- ½ cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place beets in an 8 × 8–inch square baking pan and toss with oil. Roast until tender, about 35 minutes.
- Place roasted beets, milk, sugar, coconut oil, and lemon zest in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Blend in eggs.
- In a large bowl, stir together rice flour, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently until everything is moist.
- Fold in chocolate chips, if using.
- Line the square baking pan used to roast the beets with parchment paper so there is at least a 1-inch overhang.
- Place beet mixture in pan in an even layer.
- Sprinkle pistachios on top and press down gently to help them adhere.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until batter is set in the middle.
- Let cool completely in pan, then lift out using parchment overhang and slice into 9 squares.
- Keep chilled for up to 7 days.